Student Posts

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

1st Week





First week of school reflection:

So far so good.  The change from library to technology has had it's benefits.

We worked on Word Processing for Grades 1-4 as I established the expectations.  It turns out setting standards of behavior is fast and easy when you know 98% of the kids.  Kindergarten will be my challenge.  They start tomorrow!

I'm trying a couple of new things this time around.  First, I'm setting up the class routine as a 10 minute model lesson, then participation time.  During the work, students will have a visual timer set up so they know they must focus.  They get about 5-7 minutes to compose then do a "walkabout" in the room to see what everyone else has been up to.  The stop and look has worked well to break up the stagnate sitting time.

Second, I'm trying to step out of the learning equation a little.  Kids are encouraged (almost required) to ask 3 people for help before they try to get assitance from me.  Once they've exhausted their help options, they grab a red flag and attach it to their computer to let me know I'm really, really needed. 

This procedure has freed me from the "teacher, teacher" call that I can't stand (makes me crazy).  It was also easier for the 1st graders than it was for 2nd-4th graders.  I wonder why that is? 

Next week we will continue working on Word Processing in 3rd and 4th.  They will learn how to save a document and retrieve it.  Organizing your digital world is a serious skill our kids will have to master.