Student Posts

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Oh the Horror!

While taking the 3rd and 4th graders to internet safety today, I tried to illicit responses from students using technology INSTEAD of having an only 'me talking at them' teaching strategy (which is the ol' standby I fall into without forethought).

Today's presentation delivery was horrible and fantastic at the same time!
Horrible-the answers were short, not on topic, not clearly written, not good examples of writing conventions, etc...
Fantastic-we have a baseline of skills, kids were excited to have a voice...they couldn't wait to write & read (which is the whole point-right?), and we can draw from this experience, talk about conventions and communicating meaning to others.

TodaysMeet.com is the limited time chatroom I used for this activity.
This is not how I want kids to write, but now we have a starting point.